Do you, at times, feel slave to selective hunger? Many of us are victims of food cravings extending from salt to fried to sweets.
We usually crave specific foods that indicates deficiency of micro or macronutrients in our body. Mainly food with high fat and sugar set one’s heart on and chocolate is one best example that contains both. While you face such a situation, what do you do? Grab a chocolate bar, or a cookie, or a spoon of Nutella, or any chocolate ingredient, and later feel guilty of the extra calories you consumed. Don’t worry, we have a remedy for your chocolate cravings. But before that, it’s important to find the reason for your chocolate cravings.
Why do you hanker for chocolates?
A sudden thrust that makes you go mad for chocolates may have many reasons counting including just a habit of eating chocolate during a day as many eat a bite of chocolate after every meal, so it’s a routine for them. A few women yearn for chocolates during PMS. Some eat to suppress the stress, anxiety, or depression as the high sugar content alleviates the mood for some time. For some, it helps to feed the stomach when hungry. Some may also crave if experiencing magnesium deficiency as it is believed that dark chocolate is high in magnesium content. You may also come across a few who grab it for a caffeine boost.
Chocolates have health benefits but equally high in sugar and fat that can be deleterious for many. Here are some healthy alternatives to say goodbye to your chocolate cravings.
1. Healthy Nuts: Go for a handful of nuts. These are protein-rich and low in carbs and make you feel full and curb the chocolate craving.
2. Your Favorite Fruit: Whenever chocolate cravings knock you, it is best to grab a bite of your beloved fresh fruit. It will help satisfy your sweet thirst with added health benefits.
3. Yogurts: A cup of yogurt is filled with calcium, protein, magnesium, and multivitamins. It has the ability to satisfy your chocolate cravings.
4. Smoothies/Milkshakes: A homemade smoothie or milkshake made with your choice of fruit or flavor can help you relieve your weakness of chocolates. It is full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and calcium.
5. Hold Back: Though it needs a lot of sway, try to resist for 15 to 20 minutes, and if able to overcome, that’s the best way to curb your chocolate cravings forever. Still, if it persists, go for a small chunk of it.
Also, stay hydrated!
Craving for chocolates is not bad, but its excessive eating is harmful. Eating them in moderation is always recommended. And one can always hunt for healthy bites to cut the sugar intake.