You have more calcium in your body than any other mineral, and it’s very important for your health. It makes up much of your bones and teeth and plays a major role in cardiovascular health, muscle function, and nerve signaling.
Moreover, it also plays a leading role in bone health and the prevention of both osteoporosis and cancer. And if you’re a woman, you know that you definitely need it! Now, if you’re dairy-free, you may be wondering how to obtain this nutrient without taking major amounts of dairy or supplements. Well, thankfully, there are quite a few foods that are naturally rich in calcium, that are non-dairy. Yes, you read that right! Here are our top 5 non-dairy foods rich in calcium
1. Broccoli: This may be the one food you used to shy away from as a kid, but it is definitely one you should enjoy as an adult. Why? Well, 2 cups of raw broccoli have about 86 milligrams of calcium!
2. Dried Figs: For a sweet treat, this dried fruit packs an antioxidant, fiber, and calcium punch. Eat them as a mid-day snack, or turn these delicious dried fruits into a creamy jam. Enjoy!
3. Oranges: This citrus fruit is not only an amazing source of vitamin C, it is also a great source of calcium! There are 74 milligrams of calcium in one large orange and 27 milligrams in a cup of orange juice. Plus, they’re also low in calories and brimming with antioxidants. What’s not to love?
4. White beans: These legumes are a great source of calcium. If you want to incorporate them into your diet, dal is always a great option. Moreover, you can also add them to a pasta dish with veggies, or even try making some hummus with it!
5. Almonds: If you’re looking for a snack, look no further! Almonds are one of the most nutritionally dense nuts. Moreover, aside from calcium, they also contain potassium, vitamin E, and iron.